Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Day in the Life

6:30 am - My typical day starts around 6:30 when I hear the babies stirring in their beds. Whenever they wake me up I pump which takes between 20 and 30 minutes depending on how loud they are yelling at me.

7:00 am - By the time I get done pumping and bottles made, I'm usually in their room by 7 to feed them. Cohen usually has a poopy diaper first thing so we have to take care of that. After I feed them their bottles and change diapers we move to the kitchen for breakfast. Breakfast consists of O's and some fresh fruit. They are feeding themselves these days so they snack on O's while I slice up pears, bananas, kiwi, peaches, blueberries and applesauce or whatever we have on had that is semi soft. In the meantime, I make hot tea for myself. Next we usually have to re change diapers since the fresh ones have gold linings and they like to dirty them right away. Sometimes if they are not really wet I will wait until after breakfast to change them since I know I will have to do it again either way. Then we tackle getting dressed. Since it has been so cold and the babies rarely make it out these days depending on the sleepers I will let them stay in their jammies. Most the of the boys sleepers are a little big so if their feet don't stay in place when they try to walk/crawl they are guaranteed a change in clothes. While doing all of this Caleb usually gets up and I try to get him to eat something which usually takes awhile. By the time we finish getting everyone dressed it is almost 9 am and nap time.

9:00 am - I usually try to get Caleb situated with breakfast and as soon as I put the babies down for their nap I take a shower and get dressed. I am selfish with this as I require a shower in the morning in order to wake up and feel normal. I can be selfish, right? So Caleb usually watches some cartoons while I take my 5 minute or less shower. I think I could go to the store and come back and he would never even miss me. Once I am out and dressed I start working on Caleb to do the same. He never wants to get dressed or brush his teeth so sometimes it takes awhile.

10:00 am - The babies are usually awake by now which makes Caleb happy. We all play for awhile and then at 10:30 I have to pump again. Bottles at 11 and then everyone gets lunch. Caleb usually wants chicken nuggets or a peanut butter sandwich and the babies get a cheese, a veggie and sometimes a fruit and or meat. After lunch depending on the day determines what happens next. Monday we are home all day, but Tues, Wed and Thurs I have to take Caleb to school. Most days someone (my mom) is here to stay with the babies, but if I have to take them we are all in the car by noon.

1pm - nap time for the babies. The hope is that they will take a LONG nap, but sometimes this happens and sometimes it does not. Most days they are up by 2:30. Depending on how long they nap determines what gets done in the meantime. Sometimes I nap, sometimes I clean, and if Caleb is here we usually play.

2:30- pump again
3:00 pm - feed bottles and on Wednesday I have to pick Caleb up from school and I have to leave at 3 to get there on time which is tricky. Most Wednesdays there is someone here so I do not have to take them, but if not I have to feed them early which works somedays and others not so well. After this bottle is usually when I start making dinner since it takes me awhile.

5:00 pm - Babies get their dinner. They eat a veggie, meat, fruit and of course O's. Caleb is hungry early a lot so sometimes I feed him too now and I usually try to eat while they are eating as well. If they are happy in their seats sometimes I actually get to sit and eat but usually it is standing. I'm ok with that. Food is a priority, and if I don't eat, I get crabby and that is not good. Every day I call Mark and ask him what time he will be home and every day he tells me the same thing, between 5 and 5:30. So whenever he strolls in he can either eat or take a shower. If he does not take a shower right away he usually has to wait until the kids go to bed since it is crazy time. So unfortunately most nights we do not all sit and eat together, but one day we will. Mark usually has someone at the table with him and most of the time we are all still in the kitchen hanging out so he doesn't have to eat alone.

6:00 pm - If it is bath day the babies get stripped down as soon as they are done eating and we start baths right away. Bath day is every other day and they LOVE it. They know when we are taking their clothes off what comes next and they all crawl to the bathroom squealing when the water is turned on. Caleb usually takes a bath with the babies too, but they really have so much more room to move around when he is not in there so we have been trying to talk him out of getting in with them. Bath time has to be quick so I can pump so usually they swim for awhile and then we start handing them off to get lotion and dressed.
6:30 pm - Pump again and make bottles
7:00 pm - The last bottle of the night and and then the babies are pretty much done. Sometimes it is difficult for them to make it to 7 and if blankies are out in sight they are usually laying on them. I try to give them a late afternoon nap, but they will have no part of that. It would be nice if they would and maybe the evenings would be a little more bearable.

7:30 pm - Once the babies are in bed we usually have some time with Caleb and try to get him ready for bed. He has been staying up later these days, but he also does not have to be up in the morning at any certain time so even if he is up later, he can sleep later. He is usually in bed by 8:30, but we read to him and cuddle for a bit so that takes time. Most nights he has to get back up and go the the bathroom too. Delay tactics, but for the most part he is really good about going to be and is usually fast asleep.

8:30/9-whoever does not put Caleb to bed is usually cleaning up the kitchen and picking up toys. We have to do this otherwise the next morning is a nightmare. Sometimes by the time this is all done it is 10 and we head to the basement pub as Mark likes to call it to hang out for a bit. Most nights we are up too late trying to catch up on each other or shows that have been recorded. Laundry, sweeping, mopping, cleaning, shopping, etc all have to fit into this time slot as well. Before I go to bed I have to pump again.

Whew, I am exhausted just writing all of this!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

love it! this has been on my "to blog" list for awhile, haven't gotten it done...maybe i'll just lift yours. :)