Saturday, September 19, 2009

Apple pie

So you all know I became Suzie home maker when I was in the hospital knitting, crocheting, sewing, whatever kind of crafty thing I could do in bed I did. Well, it continues. I, for the first time ever made a home made apple pie tonight. And you are laughing because I have so much extra time on my hands to be making whole made pies, right??? Well, talk to my son about that one. Last week at school that had to bring in their favorite color apple and later he told me that the lady in the cafeteria was going to make them a pie, but he wanted to make one too. I happened to have bought apples when I was at costco to make baby food so he has been on us about doing it since Thursday night. I gave him some carrots to peel and someone told him that we had the wrong color apples so he left it alone for awhile, but we finally did it today. I went to the store specifically for pie crust, green apples and the remaining ingredients that we need. I came back with 60 dollars worth of groceries and no pie crust. Mark went back to the store and came back with the crust so all was great...so we thought. After Caleb and I peeled and sliced all of the apples and were adding the finishing touches I realized that we did not have any flour. UGH-Par for my course these days. So, we put a call into Jen next door. By this point it was way past dinner time so I went ahead and made dinner (which Mark thought was an excellent idea), fed the babies and in the meantime Jen brought over the flour. Or process was that I would peel, slice and then Caleb would use the mushroom/egg slicer to slice the apples into smaller pieces. It worked well and Caleb only needed one band aid before it was all over.

Caleb is a really good carrot peeler. We made baby food the other day and he peeled almost all 5lbs of the carrots. I thought he would be able to do the apples but they were a lot harder to get started and since they are round a little harder for him to hold onto so he opted to slice.


TA DA!! It was actually pretty good for my first pie. Caleb tried a bite and spit it back out. I'm not sure what he was expecting, but it tasted like apple pie is supposed to taste.
Caleb really likes 'projects' like this. For awhile he had me making smoothies all the time until I refused to make them anymore because he was not drinking them. He is good at carrots and making baby food too, but about the only thing that he wants to make and eats every drop of is popcorn. It was a great day that ended with yummy pie!!

1 comment:

Mom Mc said...

Wow does that ever look YUMMY! Caleb sure is a big help. So funny that he ended up not even liking it =O) Gramma McMenamy