Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Day!!

Christmas morning Mark and I were both tired. I think we were both anxious for Santa to arrive and see Caleb's reactions. I know that I was worried about getting up, pumping and getting the babies fed while also making sure we were quiet so Caleb would sleep as long as possible. I knew he would be tired from being up late the night before and we had a long day ahead of us. Thankfully he did sleep long enough for me to get the babies fed so we all headed downstairs after Caleb checked it out and informed us all that Santa had arrived. The one and only thing he asked Santa for was 2 Nerf swords. One was for him and the other was for daddy. The babies loved their balls and Caleb helped them open their gifts while Mark and I were on paper patrol to make sure no one was eating what they were not supposed to be eating. It was a great morning and Santa was especially generous to me.

Christian looks goofy here, but it was the best of the worst :)

Caleb has always associated Christmas with snow and so as soon as he was done opening his presents he announced that he was going to check for snow. Mark and I as usual went into our explanation that snow as just a cold weather event when he screamed that it was snowing. mark and I looked at each other, said no way and had to check it out ourselves. Sure enough it was snowing!!!
Christmas morning we always go to my grandma and grandpa Szachnieski's for brunch/lunch. Since it was snowing the roads were terrible and it took us forever to get there. At one point we had to go the opposite direction of their house since the highway was closed to get there. We got turned around and took the side roads to get there. Luckily we got there in time for the 11 am feeding. We were also able to catch my brother in time to make sure they did not get stuck on the highway parking lot and they were able to detour and got there shortly after we arrived. My grandma always says that she is not going to make much, but she usually has a feast for about 30 people and there are only 7 adults, 3 kids and 3 babies. The one thing we all love and look forward to is her ham that she makes, it is the BEST!! Every time Mark and my brother talk about how it is the best one yet. She always seems to outdo herself!! They had a table out that was just the right height for the babies and they snacked all morning. Cecilia took up residence on my dads lap and stayed there the majority of the time we were there. If she got fussy she just chewed on her celery stalk. Mark and I decided today that we are going to have to have a conversation with him about this since he wants to be held all of the time now. I think they both enjoyed it. As always we stuffed ourselves and got tons of great gifts!!
After our morning at my grandparents we usually go home for a break and then back to Mark's grandparents for the afternoon/evening. This year with the traffic being so bad it took up forever to get home so we decided not to get everyone out and just go to their house. I went in and Mark drove around until I called him back to load up the car. I think it worked out well this way since we were there in time for me to pump and feed. it really would have been so much work to get everyone out and then reload them all in such a short time. I don't think anyone minds that we show up early since they love to see us (Caleb and the babies). We came armed with 5 dart guns so everyone was prepared to have a good time. The babies loved the huge staircase and all made it up pretty far before we drug them back and created a barrier. One kid is cute, 3 is just dangerous! They are definitely explorers. This year we had the traditional Chicken DuMun which is a favorite. Since the babies are good about sleeping in the pack n plays we were able to put them down for a short time, but before we knew it Caleb was ready to go. Fortunately this year we were able to stay and play the white elephant game which is always fun. I brought and took home the Big top Cupcake. 25X the normal cupcake size. Caleb saw it before it was wrapped and we had to get it back for him. Mark got the extra large universal remote. He plans to get it working and I envision our tv's to be forever messed up. the babies love remotes so this will be their new favorite 'toy'.
We are so thankful to have such a great family. Everyone is so helpful with the babies and without their help a holiday such as this could not have been pulled off. We have always been fortunate that our families parties have not ever conflicted in times. As crazy as this day(a) may have seemed it is our holiday and what we look forward to every year. I don't think I would change it for a minute!!

No comments: