Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby update cont...

Yesterday I added a quick update as it was a pretty busy day and I did not want to forget or leave anyone wondering what was up with the babies. One of the things that they are going to monitor the babies for each week is breathing and movement. Christian would not cooperate so they made me go eat lunch and come back at 1 hoping that he would be awake. I was not worried because his head is so low and his body is on my side and really and awkward position. He is also the least active of the babies but I had been feeling him have hiccups a lot lately. So we went back down and they monitored him for awhile and he passed that time. Later that day the doctor came in and asked who they were monitoring and I told him that I thought it was Cecilia instead of Christian but that before they were done with the monitoring I was convinced that it was Christian since he got the hiccups and I could feel him moving. The problem was that on the report they wrote baby C which is actually Cohen. I know he was not being monitored, when he asked and I told him that they did not verify that they had the correct baby by ultrasound he was like ah ha. So...I went back again today for an ultrasound.

Today they had difficulty determining who was who between Christian and Cecilia. I thought it was pretty cut and dry since one is a girl and one a boy, but their bellies were smashed together. After much discussion and review by the person that did the ultrasound yesterday, much to their dismay Christian had moved and is now in a transverse position. I'm not sure how he did that and the ultra sound person said that if she had not seen it with her own eyes, she would not have believe it since she has never seen a baby at 30 weeks move out of the 'leading' position he was in. So, he was active and passed with flying colors today. I go back again on Friday to have all 3 babies checked. Really these checks have no barring on how well they will breathe when they come out, but are a good predictor of stability and maturity.

As far as their weights go, everyone was pleased with their weights. I was disappointed that they were not all 3 1/2lbs but we have to be reminded that they are only approximate and if they do not get good head and belly measurements, they weight guesses could be off. Both Christian and Cecilia were harder to measure based on their positions so Mark and I both think they are bigger.

. Mark and I also got to take a tour of the NICU. It was nice to see where the babies will be staying once they are born. We also got to see babies from 25 weeks and up which was nice to see what we would have had when we arrived at the hospital and what a difference 5 weeks makes. We also got to see two sets of triplets (all boys) and meet their moms which was nice.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Wow, so much going on and it's all so exciting! I forgot to tell you a few weeks ago I saw triplets (all boys) at the store, the dad was pushing the triple stroller and the mom was pushing the cart. I wanted to strike up a conversation, but she looked EXHAUSTED. But they were so beautiful! They were probably 1 year old or so. I'm so excited for you!!