Saturday, February 28, 2009

Crazy day!

I think I mentioned that now that I am 30 weeks I will go to the perinatal center each week to monitor the babies. They call it a biophysical exam and basically what this checks is each of the babies movements, breathing and fluid levels around the babies. By checking their movements, as long as they are moving it is an indicator of good blood flow. For all of these they are given a score. So I had this done on Tuesday and Christian was not cooperating. He did not pass the test in the morning so they sent me to eat some lunch and i went back that afternoon for monitoring again. This time they put him on the monitor rather than looking at the ultrasound machine and he did ok. The problem was that when they sent the reports up they said they were monitoring baby c, and Christian is baby a. The doctor asked who they were monitoring and I told him baby a, but I'm not sure he was convinced since they did not recheck me by ultrasound to make sure they had the right one. So, I had to go back again on Wednesday to monitor him again and he passed with flying colors. Then, I had to go back again yesterday. They do not make the schedule for the inpatient perinatal center until the day you go which is a major pain on the butt especially if Mark wants to be here. So they came in at 8:45 and told me my appt was at 9:30. I ordered my breakfast and hopped in the shower unfortunately my breakfast did not arrive before I left, but I didn't think I would be there for that long... boy was I wrong.

I got there and it took them awhile to figure out who was who and then in pure Christian style he did not move or breathe like he was supposed to. They put me on the monitor and his heart rate did not go up level out and then go down again which is an indicator of movement. So...once again I was sent back to my room to eat and then come back at 2 which sounded good to me since I was starving.

When I got back to my room they came in and said I could not eat or drink, that I was going back down at 1 and that if he did not respond again they were going to take the babies. They went ahead and put in an IV to give me some fluids and just in case I would have the c-section it would already be there.

We went back down and he decided to move so he passed that part. Apparently I need to make sure Cecilia kicks him so he gets mad and moves. He did not breathe so I was put on the monitors for all 3 babies. To do this I have to lay on my back which is really not comfortable any more and hold that position for an hour or so depending on how long it takes them to find all 3 babies heart beats. I have also been having and feeling more contraction which causes more discomfort. In the 50 minutes I was actually on the monitors once they found all of the babies I had 7 contractions (which is not good). Christian on the other had looked great and his heart rate was fluctuating really well which is a good indicator. Cecilia and Cohen not so much...they decided it was nap time. Needless to say we were happy to hear the news that there would not be any babies delivered, but I have to go through the whole thing again on Monday. I talked to the doctor this morning and I don't think he is as concerned after what he saw yesterday and they actually took my iv port out which makes me very happy since it was already very irritating. He did say that he would get a second chance if he failed again, but it looks like it will all be touch and go with these monitoring sessions. I guess we will see what Monday brings....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That little Cecelia better keep kicking her brothers so that they are staying AWAKE & ALERT for these visits! :)
Lots of prayers coming your way for three fully cooked little angels!