Sunday, March 8, 2009

How long???

I guess the big question at this point is how much longer before these babies come out. Honestly, I wish I knew. All I know is that as of today I am 32 weeks which is pretty amazing considering what happened at 25 weeks. We are so thankful to be this far and any additional time from this point on is awesome.

A couple of things have changed in that they are no longer monitoring me for contractions. I am feeling them now and the doctors have said that at this point it is completely normal to be having them more frequently. What the contractions do is make me feel like I have to pee really bad. I can still breathe/talk/walk through them so they are really not a nuisance just yet. They have also said that if I go into labor they will not try to prevent like they had previously.

I am going twice a week (Monday & Thursday) to the perinatal center for a modified biophysical exam for the babies. This means that they do an ultrasound to check the fluid around the babies and then put me on the monitors and watch the babies heart beat fluctuations. I haven't heard a 'score' for the modified version so it seems like they get a little longer to perform. I think this was changed since they have defined fluctuations that they are looking for at the 32 week mark.

You might hear me complain a little more. From the pictures I am sure you can tell I am getting pretty big. The skin on my belly seems really stressed these days and is painful to the touch at times. I continue to treat it with lotion and oils to ward off stretch marks, but it looks like I have a bad sunburn at times since it is so red and irritated. My back is also starting to hurt from the bigger belly and laying down for so long. Changing positions and going for a little walk down the hall does help. I have asked for Tylenol two times too but it is nothing I can't handle at this point.

The good news is that I can still walk and get around very well. My nurse told me tonight that a lot of women have a hard time getting up at this point which is what pushes their deliver date up. Reality is setting in that they will be here soon. 32 weeks is average and most people have them by 34 weeks.

SO....as long as I continue to do well and the babies look good at their monitoring each week and I do not go into labor I could be here for awhile longer. Really though at this point I think it is day by day since anything could happen at any time. And, as nice as it is, I am getting tired of being here. Give me a break, it has been 7 weeks!!

4 comments:

Papa Bill said...

I know it must be tough Andi but let's hope for 3 more weeks. That would be 35, which is the time Caleb cooked and look how well he did and is. Gosh I remember thinking he was so little but he came home right away and has been strong ever since.

Love,
Bill

Sam said...

Andi, you are such a trooper. You have such a positive attitude that humbles me! I'm so so happy that you've made it to 32 weeks. What a huge blessing!!! We'll keep praying for you and the bambinos,of course. Love & miss you lots! Oh and I love the new room decor! Awesome!
Love ya!

Unknown said...

Sounds like they are doing wonderful. I am so happy to hear you are still there (sorry about that though). Keep up the good work and hang in there. I can't wait to see these little ones.

Sarah said...

Glad to hear that they are still cooking and doing well. I hope for their sake they cook for a few weeks more, and I hope you stop being itchy and sore on your skin.